Ultimately it is our aim to safeguard the relationship between mothers in prison and their children.
This needs a diverse approach that covers not only professional advice on family legal matters, but behind the scenes work liaising with multiple parties, providing avenues of communication, and working with specialists in the fields of emotional and psychological support. We walk by their side through the legal process and beyond, and to this end, we support women by:
- Representing them in court
- Corresponding with members of their families, including the fathers
- Liaising with social workers
- Obtaining expert reports from psychologists and other professionals
- Working with barristers
- Speaking on the phone
- Providing emotional support
Since 2018, Not Beyond Redemption has held a pro bono legal clinic for the women at HMP Send in Woking. Not Beyond Redemption currently runs legal clinics at HMPs Send, Downview, East Sutton Park, Peterborough, Eastwood Park, Bronzefield and Styal. Our goal is to make this initiative available in all 12 women’s prisons throughout the UK.